Bee Green Spring Time Smoothie
Finally it is Spring Time!! The trees are budding, and pretty soon the bees will be a buzzin'. To be honest though I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to skip the cold grey days of winter and be working on a Permaculture farm in Nicaragua. I love everything about this place but I sometimes miss the comfort and ease of making smoothies in the morning, in fact I'd give up my rice and bean breakfast in a second for this recipe. This green monster is one of my go to's back home, full of deliciousness, nutrition and crave satisfaction that I had to share it.
Having a green smoothie for breakfast is a wonderful idea for several reasons:
1. Its quick
2. Its easy for your body to digest and absorb resulting in more energy to power through your morning vs energy to digest a heavy meal
3. Variety: play with different vegetable, fruits, spices and herbs
4. Nutrient Dense: Its insane how many veggies you can eat by 8am
5. Delicious: Add tasty superfoods such as cacao, vanilla, spirulina, maca, matcha, and bee pollan
This green smoothie tasted a bit more like a creamy sorbet than actual vegetables, and that was fine by my standards. Enjoy it for me until my reunion with a blender:
Bee Green Spring Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 avocado (chopped and frozen overnight)
- 1 cup frozen zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 tsp maca
- 1 tbsp local honey
- 1 pear
- 1 tbsp local bee pollen
1. Throw everything in a high speed blender (I use a vitamix) and pulse a view times. Use tamper to mix while you crank up the speed and blend until smooth.
2. Spoon into a glass and top with your superfood of choice ( I used bee pollen and chopped brazil nuts), and of course enjoy!!!