One of the things I love most about cooking is being able to experiment in the kitchen. Using the seasons most fresh ingredients from the farmers market and my own garden makes me feel like a true alchemist. Using every sense in my body I inhale the aroma or the herbs, the texture of the seeds, and magical taste of a freshly picked cucumber. All the ingredients serve as medicine for the body and soul. Food is meant to nourish, and I love that I am able to share that with others. For Memorial Day I made an extra special salmon burger recipe that will keep you energized and light enough to enjoy the abundance of the long weekend.
Memorial Day weekend seems to be the tipping point for dusting of the grill and putting it to good use when its too hot to cook inside. The raw crisp vegetables, juicy fruit, and fresh herbs provide a cooling balance to the increasingly steamy weather . Salmon lends a healthy dose of omega 3 fatty acids, important as an anti-inflammatory, brain booster, and muscle building fuel. These salmon cakes are also awesome to have on hand to whip up a quick lunch, dinner, or what have you and freeze wonderfully. ENJOY MY FRIENDS:
- 1 large pastured egg or chia egg (1 tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. chickpea miso, tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 lb skinless wild sockeye salmon, cut into ¼ in cubes
- ½ cup mix of chopped cilantro, green onion and mint
- 1 tbsp. grated ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ cup sweet rice flour
- 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil melted
- Sea salt to taste
- In food processor, pulse egg, lemon, miso and a pinch of sea salt. As it pulses drizzle in coconut oil. Add in half of the salmon and pulse to coarse paste. Fold in remaining fish, parsley and sweet rice flour. With wet hands, divide the mixture into 4 patties or 6 smaller patties. Place cakes on plant and refrigerate until chilled and firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 320*F
- In large skillet, melt the ghee over medium heat. Add the salmon burgers to the pan and cook about 4 minute per side. Transfer to oven and cook for about 5 minutes.
- If cooking on the grill use a cast iron skillet or piece of aluminum foil so the burger doesn't stick to the grates.
Enjoy your fabulous Day!
*if you have leftovers, freeze half the cakes for weekday meals before cooking. Thaw in the fridge, and cook as directed above.