Pesto Zoodles and Thyme Roasted Aubergine
Its July in the midwest meaning its hot and humid AF! Its the perfect weather for spending time on the lake or river, but not an ideal time for cranking up the oven (especially when you don't have AC). Another perfect thing about this time of year- vine fresh tomatoes from the kitchen garden, tons of tender basil, and the most delicious summer squash of the season. Combine them all together and you get this simple delicious zucchini pasta, no oven required.
If your up for making things fancy you can add a little roasted eggplant to the base of this dish, otherwise enjoy the nutrient dense pasta all on its own.
Pesto Zucchini Noodles
- 4 cups lightly packed basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- In a blender, combine the basil, nuts, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until roughly chopped then with the blender running, stream in 1/4-1.2 cup olive oil and continue blending, scraping down the sides as needed, until the pesto is puréed. Set the pesto aside.
- With a veggie spiralizer, make zucchini noodles as directed or use a veggie peeler to make wider fettuccine sized zoodles by peeling long thin strips. Optional- if all you have is a knife, just cut zucchini in half length wise and make semi-circle chunks.
- You can use the noodles raw or add the 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to the saute pan set over low heat. Add the zucchini noodles and cook them, tossing frequently, until they’re softened slightly. Reduce the heat to low then add pesto to the pan and toss to combine.
- Mix in chopped cherry tomatoes, serve and enjoy immediately.
Thyme Roasted Aubergine
- 2 lb. eggplant (about 2 globe or 4 Italian)
- sea salt
- 2 to 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- Lemon wedges
- Slice eggplant into thing strips lengthwise. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 15 min. Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Over the sink, gently squeeze the eggplant to extract the salty juice and wipe them dry with a paper towel. Brush each strip thoroughly with olive oil . On top lay a sprig or two of thyme. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a lemon wedges and top with zucchini pasta. Bam a delicious and super impressive dinner for you and your friends!