Mushroom Infused Chocolate
It is so important that we find time each day to relish in self-love, and adoration. What better way to celebrate then with chocolate, right? Many of you probably know that chocolate comes from the cacao bean. Cacao was considered the food of the Gods by the Mayans and Aztecs throughout Central America. There are plenty of records drawing a connection between cacao and sexual desire, in fact there is scientific proof showing that it can stimulate the release of serotonin and theobromine, both brain chemicals that elevate mood and can produce a feeling of euphoria. Phenethylamine is another chemical cacao stimulates that is also secreted when we're sexually aroused, or fall in love.
In ceremony it is used as a heart opening medicine. It helps remove barriers that are interfering with the heart chakra, it helps us to connect with the feminine spirit, and it helps us to embody unconditional love for self and other. Other effects of cacao include increased circulation, increased focus and energy, not to mention it is the second highest food in antioxidants (coffee is the first), as well as dozens of other vitamins and minerals.
Aside from chocolate my next favorite superfood group are mushrooms. There are hundreds of medicinal mushrooms used for increased vitality and health. One of my all time favorites and one that I have included in this recipe is Cordyceps. This mushroom is being studied for treatment of cancer, and is often taken to enhance endurance and the bodies uptake of oxygen. For the past five months I have been experimenting with different mushroom elixirs and I definitely notice increased energy and focus on the mornings I consume cordyceps giving me the benefits of coffee without the jitters or anxious sweats.
Mushroom Infused Chocolate Bark
- Make a double boiler and mix melted coconut oil tahini and honey together until well incorporated.
- Add cacao and cordyceps and mix until the chocolate is smooth
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and pour the chocolate on top
- Sprinkle with nuts, rose petals, sea salt or whatever strikes your fancy
- Move to the fridge or freezer and let it set
- Cut with a knife and store in the refrigerator
- Indulge and relish in the love of cacao either by yourself or with your honey!